One of our frequently asked questions is how to clean Banned Goods slippers without damaging them. We get it - no one wants dirty, smelly slippers. But because our slippers are super plush and have that magic foam that molds around your feet, we don’t recommend you machine-wash them. Doing so could damage the foam sole and make the slippers a lot less comfy. (If you absolutely must machine-wash them, then use a gentle cycle or hand wash cycle with cold water and let them dry naturally.)
Thankfully, it’s easy to clean your slippers and keep them looking and smelling great. Here’s what you need:
- Baking soda
- Dishwashing liquid, or a non-abrasive detergent
- Two towels (one wet, one dry)
- Febreze, or your preferred odor-eater
How to clean slippers
Here’s how to clean the outer parts of your slippers.
- Use the dry towel to gently brush off any dirt.
- Sprinkle baking soda over any grease stains and let it sit for an hour.
- Brush the baking soda off with the dry towel and repeat if necessary till the grease stains are gone.
- If there are dirt stains, then gently clean them with the wet towel, rubbing in circles. If necessary, mix a small amount of the non-abrasive detergent with water in a bowl, then dip the wet towel in the solution and clean the dirt stains.
- Sponge any damp areas with the dry towel.
How to get the smell out of slippers
Here’s how to clean the inner parts of your slippers and get rid of any odors.
- Squeeze a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid into warm water, and mix the two till the solution is nice and foamy.
- Using the foam, not the water, gently comb and wipe the insides of your slippers with your hands. Make sure you don’t soak the slippers.
- Use the dry towel to wipe away any excess foam.
- Sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside your slippers to tackle remaining odors. Make sure you evenly distribute the baking soda within each slipper from toe to heel.
- Let the baking soda sit for an hour, then shake it out. You could also vacuum out the baking soda using a dusting brush attachment.
How to dry slippers
We’re often asked, “Can I put slippers in the dryer?” While Banned Goods slippers can go in the tumble dryer at a low heat setting, you may want to play it safe and dry your slippers in a more gentle way. We recommend you do the following:
- After cleaning your slippers, let them air dry out of direct sunlight.
- After getting rid of any smells in your slippers, use the hairdryer on a cool setting to dry the insides.
Your slippers should now look and smell great! For that finishing touch, give them a spray of Febreze or your odor-eater of choice. That’s it, you're done!
How to keep slippers clean for longer
Here are some of our tips on how to keep your slippers clean for longer:
- Avoid wearing your Banned Goods slippers outside. They’re meant to be worn and enjoyed inside your home.
- Wear fresh socks before you put on your slippers.
- Give your slippers a chance to breathe! Use our discount code HALFOFF to get a second pair of Banned Goods slippers at half-price. That way you can alternate between two slippers (and show off two styles).