It’s one of our more frequently asked questions – people want to know how to clean Banned Goods slippers. Some people also want to know how to get the smell out of the slippers, especially after they’ve been used non-stop for a few months.
We get it – no one wants dirty, smelly slippers. But because our slippers have that magic foam which molds around your feet, and because they are super plush filled, we don’t recommend you machine-wash them. Doing so could damage the foam sole and make the slippers a lot less comfy.
(If, despite knowing this, you absolutely *must* machine-wash your slippers, then wash them separately in a gentle cycle or hand-wash cycle with cold water, and let them dry naturally. Don’t put them in the dryer!)
Thankfully, it’s quite easy to clean your slippers and keep them looking sharp and smelling fresh. All you need is:
- baking soda
- dishwashing liquid or non-abrasive detergent
- towels (one wet, one dry)
- and a hairdryer
- Febreze or any odor-eaters
How to clean slippers
This section focuses on cleaning the outsides of your slippers.
- Use the dry towel to gently brush off any excess dirt on your Banned Goods slippers.
- Sprinkle baking soda over any grease stains and let it sit for an hour.
- Brush the baking soda off, and repeat if necessary till the grease stains are gone.
- If there are dirt stains, then gently clean the surface with the wet towel, rubbing in circles. If needed, mix a small amount of non-abrasive detergent with water, dip the towel in the solution, and clean the dirt stains.
- Sponge any damp areas with the dry towel.
- That’s it, you’re done! Let the slippers air dry out of direct sunlight.
How to get the smell out of slippers
And this section focuses on cleaning the insides of your slippers and getting rid of any funky smells.
- Squeeze a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid into warm water, and mix the two till the solution is nice and foamy.
- Use your hands to gently comb and wipe the insides of your Banned Goods slippers with the foam (not the water). Make sure you don’t soak the insides of your slippers.
- Use the dry towel to wipe away any excess foam.
- Use the hairdryer on a cool setting to dry the insides.
- Sprinkle a bit of baking soda inside your slippers to tackle any remaining odours. Make sure to evenly distribute the baking soda throughout the insides of your slippers.
- Let it sit for an hour, then shake out the baking soda. (You can also vacuum out the baking soda using a dusting brush attachment.)
- Your slippers should now look great and smell great. Still, it’s not a bad idea to give them a final spray of Febreze or odor-eaters.
- Let them air dry once again out of sunlight, and then they’re ready to go!
How to keep slippers clean for longer
Check out some of our tips below on how to keep your Banned Goods slippers clean and fresh for longer:
- Avoid wearing your Banned Goods slippers outside. They’re meant for chilling inside.
- Wear fresh socks before changing into your comfy slippers.
- Give your slippers a chance to breathe every once in a while! Purchasing two pairs gives you the chance to alternate and get your second pair half-price with discount code HALFOFF.
That’s it! Go enjoy your squeaky clean Banned Goods slippers now, and if you’re interested in adding more of our iconic slippers to your collection, make sure to check out our latest and most exclusive styles.